How to Book a Writing Appointment
This video provides step-by-step instructions on how to schedule a writing appointment.
Instructions on how to use the text-only accessible version of WC Online are available below the transcript.
How to book a writing appointment.
Go to the library homepage at www.lib.uoguelph.ca and click Book Online Appointments.Then select book Writing, Research Assistance, and English Language Support.Then select Book a Writing Appointment or Book an English Language Support Appointment.
If it's your first visit, please create a WC Online account by clicking “Register for an account.” Make sure to use your University of Guelph email.
If you have booked an appointment before, use your WC online account to log in.
[WC Online appointment booking schedule is displayed. Dropdown menu under Select schedule shows several options.]
Under schedule, choose writing appointments.
[The specific appointment schedule selected is displayed. The dropdown menu under Writing Appointment Categories shows several options.]
Choose your appointmentcategory from the drop-down list.
[A table is displayed with options to book appointments with multiple writing services staff. Blacked out spaces indicate no time is available. Blue spaces indicate the appointment slot is booked. White spaces are free to book.]
Blue spaces mean booked. White spaces mean available. Click a white space to select a time.
[When the white space is clicked, the Create New Appointment box opens. Select your end time from the dropdown.]
Choose between 30-minute and 1-hour appointments.Then choose between face-to-face or online appointments.
[Click on the radial buttons to select face to face or online appointment. NOTE: ONLINE ONLY DURING THE CURRENT PANDEMIC.]
Fill in your information and click Create Appointment.
[Users will need to enter subject and course code, year of study, what you would like to work on, and if you need any accommodations in the appropriate fields.]
No appointments? Join the waiting list. Click the waiting list link and follow the instructions.
[Waitlist links are located below the table for each day.] You will then receive a confirmation email.
Can’t make your appointment? Go to WC Online and select My Appointments. Scroll to the bottom of your booking and click Cancel Appointment.The people on the waiting list will thank you.
[Questions? Reach out!]
Need help? Email, chat, or drop by.
[This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.]
Create an account
- Go to WCOnline and click “Register for a new account.”
- Use your University of Guelph email address to create your account.
- Fill out the following fields:
- First name (required)
- Last name (required)
- Degree (select from dropdown menu) (required)
- What college do you belong to (select from dropdown menu) (required)
- For LANG students only: please indicate your program/major (select from dropdown)
- Is English an additional language for you (EAL/ESL)? (select from dropdown)
- Are you registered with Student Accessibility Services? (select from dropdown)
- How did you hear about us? (select from dropdown)
- What are your pronouns?
- Password (required)
- Re-enter Password (required)
- Select your email preferences (radial)
- Text messaging preferences
- Enter mobile number (ten digits, numbers only)
- Mobile carrier (select from dropdown)
- Fake Registration Prevention (captcha: clickbox to confirm "I am not a robot")
- Select “Complete Registration”
Book an Appointment
- Once you’ve logged in, click the link at the top of the page to access the text-only/Accessible and mobile version of the site.
- From the dropdown menu select the “Writing Appointments” schedule and click continue
- There are two dropdown menus on the page:
- First, select the day you want your appointment
- Second, select the appropriate writing appointment category:
- 1000-level courses
- Any student
- English Language Support – EAL
- Faculty and Staff
- Graduate Students and Post Docs
- Click “List Available Appointments”
- On the next page, the available appointments will be listed in a dropdown menu, including the name of the person you are booking with.
- Select the time and then click “Reserve Selected.”
- On the next page, you can choose to select a 30 minute or 1 hour appointment by adjusting the ending time from the dropdown menu.
- Fill out the remaining questions on the form.
- Subject area (e.g., biology, philosophy, psychology) (required)
- Course Code (e.g., CHEM 1000)
- What year are you in? (Select from the dropdown menu) (required)
- What kind of assignment are you working on? (Select from the dropdown menu) (required).
- What would you like to work on today?
- Do you require any accommodations in order to access materials and participate fully in the appointment? (e.g., live captioning, screenreader, etc.)
- Select YES from the dropdown to acknowledge the following: I understand that (1) I should upload a file ONLY if I need to refer to non-textual materials (figures, tables, slides, rubrics), and (2) consultants will NOT review materials in advance. (required)
- File upload
- Document title
- Click “Create Appointment”
Join the Waitlist
- If there are no options for appointments or available times that work for you, click the link to be added to the waiting list for that day.
- When joining the waitlist you can include additional information about your preferences:
- Limit to a specific staff or resource? Select your response from the dropdown list.
- Limit based on starting time? Select your response from the dropdown list.
- Limit based on ending time? Select your response from the dropdown list.
- Select “Join the Waiting List”