Make the Most out of Office Hours
Learn why and how to make use of your instructors office hours.
- Higher levels of contact with faculty correlates positively with student' academic performance, satisfaction with academic experience, retention of knowledge.
1. Before you go
- establish a specific goal: ask yourself "what do I want to get our of this?"
- come prepared with questions: Think thoughtfully about the best questions to ask.
- Bring appropriate material: For example, notebook, readings, assignment outlines, math problems, etc.
- Introduce yourself: Tell the professor who you are and what course you are from
- Get to the point: be aware of the time
- Take notes: This will help you remember important points.
- Don't be afraid to ask for clarification: Make the most of your one-on-one time with the professor
- Review meeting notes: Do a quick debrief
- Apply new knowledge: Use your new knowledge
- Don't hesitate to reach out again: talking to your professor gets easier with practice
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.