Make the Most out of Office Hours
Learn why and how to make use of your instructors office hours.
Higher levels of contact with faculty correlates positively with students' academic performance, satisfaction with academic experience, and retention of knowledge.
1. Before you go
- Establish a specific goal: ask yourself "what do I want to get out of this?"
- Come prepared with questions: think thoughtfully about the best questions to ask
- Bring appropriate material: for example, notebook, readings, assignment outlines, math problems, etc.
- Introduce yourself: tell the professor who you are and what course you are from
- Get to the point: be aware of the time
- Take notes: this will help you remember important points
- Don't be afraid to ask for clarification: make the most of your one-on-one time with the professor
- Review meeting notes: do a quick debrief
- Apply new knowledge
- Use your new knowledge
- Don't hesitate to reach out again: talking to your professor gets easier with practice
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.