Presentation Planning 101
2 - 5 Minutes
Learn 6 steps to plan your presentation.
1. Build an outline
- What is your agenda for the presentation?
- Do you have the right amount of content for the amount of time?
- Who will be responsible for each part of the presentation?
- How will you check-in with group members?
2. Prioritize content
- What is the subject/topic of your presentation? (refer to assignment instructions)
- What content is most important to include?
- How will you divide your content among group members (if applicable)?
3. Set the scope
- What do you need to include in your presentation?
- What would be nice to include?
- What do you hope the audience learns?
- Does the scope match your target audience and assignment instructions?
4. Plan your visuals
- How will you visually present content to your audience?
- Why have you included a visual? How does it help your audience understand or engage with your presentation?
- Examples of visuals: PowerPoint, handouts, posters, video, etc.
- Have you practiced your presentation? (individually and/or as a group)
- Have you timed yourself/group?
- Have you thought about potential questions from your audience?
- How did the presentation go?
- What worked well? What didn't? (Discuss with your group!)
- Did you take the time to review feedback from your instructor?
Work table to plan your presentation
- Length of presentation:
- Presentation date:
- Materials required (check all that are needed): - laptop - projector cords - cue cards/presentation notes - handouts - sticky notes - pens/markers